Yeah, yeah, I know. It’s Sunday so you probably think this post is a little premature. But no, I am pulling overnight shifts the next few days so I’m basically in Monday mode a day early. “Looks like somebody’s got a case of the Monday’s”, my favorite line from movie Office Space, pretty much sums up how I feel. It’s storming outside, I’m in my sweats and I would really prefer to remain in this state until tomorrow morning rather than drive into work at 8pm this evening.
While I overall love my job, there are inevitably a few days a month I would really rather do something else than show up at work. So how do you get through the fog and self-pity of a case of the Monday’s (or maybe Tuesdays or Thursdays if you have the typical non-traditional healthcare provider work week)? Here are my favorite get motived tips and tricks.
1. Make Post-Work Plans– You workday will fly by much quicker if you have something to look forward to after work. Be it happy hour with friends, a date night with your spouse or pouring a glass of wine, claiming your favorite spot on the couch and catching up on your favorite TV series, make post-work plans and dwell on them throughout the day. This will improve your overall disposition and make your day at the clinic or hospital much more enjoyable.
2. Ditch Work Over the Weekend– We all need to take a break on occasion. Whatever your days off happen to be, make them just that- days off. While you likely have errands to run, a lawn to mow and other family commitments when you are away from work, make sure to take a little time to yourself to recharge and rejuvenate. This might mean laying in bed 30 minutes late in the morning even if your kids are begging for breakfast or saying “forget it” to weeding your garden that’s beginning to look more like a forest. If you are exhausted come Sunday evening, you’re guaranteed to be dragging Monday morning. So, give yourself a break.
3. Wake Up Early- I agree it sounds counterintuitive that sounding an early alarm will give you extra energy for your workday, but often a pleasant, un-rushed morning is the key to starting your day off right. Go for a jog, sip your coffee slowly or catch a few segments of your favorite morning talk show. Taking a few moments for yourself before work will make you feel like you got a bit more out of your day easing the tension of arriving at work on Monday morning.
4. Dress for Success-I don’t know about you but my work wear can get a bit sloppy. Toss your scrubs back into the laundry basket Monday morning (I know you forgot to wash them this weekend too) and opt for professional dress instead. Switching up your wardrobe, sprinkling on a little jewelry and digging the lipstick out of the bottom of your purse will give your workday a bit of a different feel pulling you out of the usual daily grind.
5. Be Positive Anyway-Your attitude will follow your actions. Choose to act positively and the day is sure to go your way. Smile at your co-workers when you arrive at the clinic. Pick up coffee for your counterparts. Treat your patients like customers rather than a bother. Act happy and you will be happy. I promise.
How do you get over the Monday blues?
You Might Also Like: The NP Profession- Image vs. Reality